Leixlip Town FC
Match Reports
Latest News
Contact Us
Match Reports
LFA Shield Photo's
Club History
History Part 2
Fans Forum

Match Reports

previous Results
1st's beat Timahoe Celtic 3:0 away in the League.
2nd's beat Kilcullen Celtic 4:1 home in the League.

Kildare League

Kildare League Senior Division

Kildare Town 1  Leixlip Town 2

Sunday 3rd.October 2004


Leixlip got back to winning ways in the Senior Division with a well deserved away win against Kildare Town. Second half goals by Leixlip’s two centre forwards Timmy Kavanagh and Adrien Harrigan and some fine displays by centre half Brian Holmwood and right-winger Colm McManus gave the North County team a springboard to success.

 Leixlip played against the wind in the first half but still managed to shade the half in both possession and scoring chances and limiting Kildare to the odd attack. As early as the 12 minute McManus made a great run down the right before whipping in a low hard cross that centre half Paul Harding just failed to connect with. Shortly after on 18 minutes Kildare had their only real chance of the first half when their centre forward forced Leixlip keeper Paul Martin into a fine double save. Leixlip had a glorious chance to go into the break 1 nil up when Holmwood shot over from close range with the Kildare keeper beaten after good approach play from Graham Kiersey.

Kildare started the second half the stronger but Leixlip slowly got back on top and took the lead on 62 minutes when a route one ball from keeper Martin was headed on by Harrigan for his striking partner Timmy Kavanagh to race onto and fire home from the edge of the box. The visitors doubled their lead on 74 minutes when a through ball from Graham Kiersey to Kavanagh split the home defence, Kavanagh lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper for Harrigan to race onto and shot home into the Kildare net. On 83 minutes Kildare where given a lifeline when Harrigan was sent off for two yellow cards, a few minutes later it was 2:1 as Kildare piled on the pressure. The Leixlip defence wasn’t going to be beaten for a second time and they more than managed with anything thrown at them in the final minutes.

Victory in this match moves Leixlip Town up into second place in the Senior Division however more importantly as a new club to the top Division it moves them 9 points clear of the relegation zone. Leixlip Manager Mark Conway recons that 27 points should be enough to stay up and the way they’re going now that might be achieved earlier than expected.


Leixlip Town. Paul Martin, Wes Soden, Andrew Thompson, Brian Holmwood, Paul Harding, Eion Tighe, Eion Kiersey, Colm McManus, Graham Kiersey, Adrien Harrigan, Timmy Kavanagh. Sub Graham Carroll for McManus 85 minutes.


 Leinster Junior Shield 1st. Round

Ardee Celtic 2  Leixlip Town 0

Saturday 2nd. October 2004


Leixlip’s second team made the long journey to Ardee in County Louth for this LFA Junior Shield match on Saturday afternoon in hope rather than confidence. It’s been a hard start to the season for this young side but their performances have been getting better as they adjust to men’s football as apposed to schoolboy football.

It took the visitors a good twenty minutes to get into this game as Ardee made all the early running. As the game progressed though Leixlip started to get the upper hand and on 35 minutes Damian Sexton was unlucky with a speculative 30-yard shot with the keeper off his line. The home side however looked more likely to score and on 41 minutes as the half came to a close they duly obliged when Leixlip failed to clear a corner and the Ardee centre half headed home from twelve yards. In the second half Leixlip came out with all guns blazing and nearly snached an equalizer on 53 minutes when Ger O Grady hit the post after fine approach play from Colin Meehan. As the half progressed Leixlip sent more and more men forward, this left gaps at the back and on 84 minutes Ardee secured their progression into the next round when they made it 2 nil with a lovely lofted shot from their centre forward.

Leixlip’s second team bowed out of the Junior Shield in the first round for the second year running after their first team had reached the final in 2003.

Leixlip can now concentrate on moving up the the League Table and to facilitate this have appointed Kamal Singh to manage for the remainder of the season. Kamal will take over as player Manager this week and is looking forward to trying out new ideas as in how to improve the team’s results.


Leixlip Town. Arhgie Doyle, Damian Clarke, George Murray, Damain Sexton, Coin Meehan, Sylvan Toulose, Ger O Grady, Anthon Kearney, Mark Donaghey, Greg Doherty, Adrian Uhlemann. Subs Ron McHale.



Kildare League Division 4

Celtic Rovers 3  Leixlip Town 0

Sunday 3rd. October


Leixlip’s third team crashed to their heaviest defeat so far this season despite having more of the ball and playing the better football for the majority of the game. Paul Lawlor and Colm Myles controlled the middle of the park and continuously set up the wing men Damain Sexton and Shane Kenny plus the two forward men Stephen Dooley and Ciarain Harrington. Leixlip nearly took the lead on 11 minutes when Damain Sexton had a twenty yard shot brilliantly saved by the Celtic keeper who managed to push the ball around the post for a corner, Stephen Dooley just headed wide from the resulting corner. Leixlip fell behind to a breakaway goal by Celtic on 20 minutes when the Naas side moved quickly up field and gave Ed Moore in the Leixlip goal no chance as their centre forward hit an 18-yard volley over his head. Leixlip battled back and only for some excellent goalkeeping by the Celtic net minder might have been level at the break. The second half started just as the first had ended with Leixlip on top but Celtic Rovers still managed to go two up on 75 minutes when they played a long through ball straight down the centre which the Leixlip defence didn’t deal with, as Moore advanced out of his goal trying to advert the danger the incoming forward just got to the ball first and slotted the ball home. Sean Kenny a half time sub played in his son Shane shortly after however the Celtic keeper again saved his side with a double save as Dooley was first onto the rebound. As Leixlip piled forward in search of a goal Celtic wrapped up the game after a sweeping move down the left resulted in a cross to the back post which was duly dispatched by their right-winger. Things could have been worse for Leixlip as their keeper Moore was sent off on 83 minutes for up ending a in rushing forward. Colm Myles took over between the sticks and dived to his right to brilliantly save the penalty kick. Try as they might Leixlip couldn’t find a way through the Celtic rear guard, Barry O Driscoll had found himself one on one with the keeper in the last minute but as all the game before the Celtic keeper managed to get his hand to O Driscoll’s shot and out for a corner, and so were left wondering how a game they had most of the ball in was left to slip away.


Leixlip Town. Ed Moore, Declan Kehir, Davy Gleeson, Conor Brunkard, Jim Keating, Paul Lawlor, Colm Myles, Shane Kenny, Damain Sexton, Stephen Dooley, Ciarain Harrington. Subs Sean Kenny for Lawlor h/t, Barry O Driscoll for Harrington h/t, Wayne Joyce for Sexton 80 minutes.



Kildare League Saturday Division

Leixlip Town 4  Kilcullen Celtic 1

21st Feb 2004


Leixlip leapfrogged Kilcullen in the league after this comprehensive victory in HP on Saturday afternoon. A first hat trick for Colin Meehan did most of the damage in a game that Leixlip totally dominated from start to finish.

The home side took the lead on 18 minutes when Meehan finished off from 12 yards after good approach play from Yan Butler and Barry Joyce. Leixlip should have doubled their advantage on 26 minutes when Darren Tennyson put in a corner that floated over the keeper, Damian Sexton connected with the ball at the back post but wasnt able to guide it into the net. Although Leixlip faced a stiff wind in the second half they managed to take full control of the game and Meehan was able to grab his second on 57 minutes when he fired home from just inside the box after Kilcullen failed to clear a Joyce corner. It was three nil on 63 minutes when Joyce crossed from the right, Ron McHale making his debut for the Town helped the ball on to Meehan who tapped the ball in at the back post to complete his hat trick. Leixlip continued to pour forward and where caught on the break with minutes remaining however they didnt stop attacking and finished off the scoring in the last minute when Yan Butler placed the ball under the advancing Celtic keeper.


Leixlip Town. Alan Doyle, Adrian Uhlemann, Alan White, Wes Soden, George Murray, Yan Butlar, Darren Tennyson, Barry Joyce, Colin Meehan, Damian Sexton, Mark Donaghey. Subs Ron McHale for Donaghry(h-t), Jim Keating for Uhlemann(h-t), Damian Clarke for Murray 60 min.




Kildare League Premier Divisio

Timahoe Celtic 0  Leixlip Town 3

22nd. Feb. 2004


Leixlip kept up their promotion push with a well deserved win over a stubborn Timahoe side that never stopped trying till the 90 minutes were up. The home side nearly took the lead in the 3rd. minute however Brendan Sexton dived to his left and managed to get his hand to a fiercely struck drive. Leixlip began to take control and rattled the woodwork on 21 minutes when centre forward Paul Harding stepped inside his marker and let fly from 20 yards only to see the ball rebound back into play with the keeper beaten. Town continued to create chances and were rewarded on 40 minutes when the ever-dangerous Alan Murphy fired home from 25 yards after good approach play from Graham Carroll and Eion Keirsey. Leixlip made it two nil on 55 minutes when they moved the ball up the left flank through Andrew Thompson and Graham Keirsey, Keirsey crossed for Harding to head home from 10 yards out. The game was over as a contest on 65 minutes when centre half Johnny Byrne headed home a Grahan Keirsey corner. Leixlip could have had a bigger winning margin but managed to hit the post three times in the last 20 minutes. Adrien Harrigan, Timmy Kavanagh and Harding being the unlucky players

This win guarantees Leixlip at least a play-off position however automatic promotion is still very much on the cards.


Leixlip Town. Brendan Sexton, Andrew Thompson, Paul Kelly, Johnny Byrne, Brian Holmwood, Alan Murphy, Eion Keirsey, Graham Keirsey, Graham Carroll, Timmy Kavanagh, Paul Harding. Subs Eamon Heffernan for Carroll 60 min. Adrien Harrigan for Kavanagh 75 min.


Premier Cup


Crystal Celtic 2 Leixlip Town 2 AET, Leixlip win 6:5 on sudden death penalties.


A week after drawing 3 each in the Premier Division these two sides met again, this time in the 1st.Round of the Premier Cup. Leixlip travelled down to Sallins and in very wet and windy conditions came away with a hard earned victory after sudden death penalties.


Leixlip won the toss and played into a strong wind in the first half, this decision proved to be the right one when on 21 minutes centre-forward Timmy Kavanagh latched onto a flick on by his partner up front Paul Harding and coolly dispatch the ball past the advancing home keeper into the net. Leixlip could have scored minutes earlier after Alan Murphy had put Kavanagh through however the Celtic keeper managed to save on that occasion. Leixlip continued to have more possession but Crystal where more deadly in front of goal and only for some fine goalkeeping by Brendan Sexton it would have been the Sallins men progressing into the quarter finals. Crystal did equalise on 39 minutes when Yan Butler upended a home forward in the box to give away a penalty, up until then the young midfielder was having a stormer playing down the left hand side but a bit of inexperience showed when sliding in to make the challenge. Sexton was given no chance with the resulting penalty and so the sides went in at half time level.


Leixlip played with the wind in the second half and had the home team pinned into their own half for most of the second 45 minutes. Alan Murphy had a shot on the turn tipped over by the home keeper on 55 minutes after good approach play by Graham Keirsey and Graham Carroll down the right wing. Leixlip then had a shout for a penalty turned down by the man in the middle after centre half Johnny Byrne was pulled down in the box when challenging at a corner. Despite all this pressure it was the home side that went in front when a quick ball out of defence caught out Leixlip at the back, Sexton raced out of his goal but was beaten to the ball. Eion Keirsey had managed to get back and block the ball but it fell to another Celtic forward who shot into an empty goal to go put his side 2:1 up.

Leixlips response was to run at the home defence at every opportunity and they were rewarded on 74 minutes when Alan Murphy raced onto a through ball from Graham Keirsey to fire the ball home past the out rushing keeper. Leixlip nearly won it at the end but Eion Keirsey just failed to connect with a Brian Holmwood long throw with the keeper beaten.


The match then went into extra time and although both sides still ventured forward in search of the winner there where no clear cut chances. The game then went to penalties which Crystal seemed likely to win when they scored their first 3 while Lexlip had missed 2 of theirs however Sexton became the hero of the hour with two fine saves, this coupled with goals by Kavanagh and a cheeky dinky chip of a penalty by Graham Keirsey put the game into sudden death. Crystal went first and blasted over; Graham Carroll stepped up for Leixlip and fired them into the next round and a home tie against BBC Utd.


Leixlip Town.  Brendan Sexton, Paul Kelly, Graham Carroll, Johnny Byrne, Brian Holmwood, Alan Murphy, Graham Kiersey, Yan Butler, Eion Keirsey, Timmy Kavanagh, Paul Harding. Subs Adrien Harrigan for Butler 80 min.


Kildare League Premier Division


Leixlip Town 3 Crystal Celtic 3


The real winners of this tie were Kill Celtic as their two nearest rivals shared the points in a six-goal thriller played at the HP Sports Ground on Sunday afternoon. Kill are now three points clear with a game in hand over both Leixlip and Crystal who are joint second on 23 points with four games remaining. But it must be Crystal Celtic from Sallins that are the happier as they came from three goals down with just eighteen minutes left.


Leixlip started at a blistering pace and nearly went one up on 8 minutes after a sweeping move out of their own half, Eion Keirsey who threatened throughout the match won the ball just inside his own half and ran at the Celtic defence, as he drew the defenders he released the ball to Alan Murphy who let fly from 25 yards only to see his shot rebound off the post and back into play with the keeper well beaten. Leixlip continued to press and where rewarded on 14 minutes when Keirsey was taken down in the box, Murphy stepped up but his spot kick was well saved by the visiting keeper who managed to push the ball wide for a corner. Town werent to be denied though and went one nil up only 2 minutes later when a long floated free kick from Graham Carroll was flicked on by Paul Harding, Eamon Heffernan had anticipated the flick on and stole in behind the defenders to lob the ball over the advancing keeper. Minutes later Celtic where nearly level but when their centre forward found himself racing in on stand in keeper Brendan Sexton but Sexton reacted quickly to cover the danger. Both sides continued to play the best football seen at HP this season with the play ebbing up and down the pitch.


The second half started with Leixlip on top and it was 2 nil on 55 minutes when Murphy fired home from 25 yards into the roof of the net after Barry Olwell had laid off the final ball of a ten player move that started with Sexton in the Leixlip goal. Graham Keirsey who was having a stormer in midfield nearly made it 3 nil on 60 minutes after a through ball from Murphy but the keeper raced off his line to smother Keirseys effort. Leixlip didnt wait long to make it 3 and on 65 minutes Heffernan got his second of the afternoon after Andy Thompson won the ball on the half way line and played in Harding who exchanged passes with Heffernan, shrugged off the last defender and put in a through ball for Heffernan to run onto, round the keeper and roll the ball into an empty net.


Leixlip should have closed up shop then but the loss of centre half Johnny Byrne and Graham Keirsey within minutes of one another had the effect of them losing their shape. Crystal pulled one back on 72 minutes after they forced a serious of corners resulting in a goal mouth scramble that Leixlip didnt clear and the ball was toe poked into the net. It was 3:2 only minutes later when in a near identical position the home side couldnt clear and the Crystal forward fired home from close range. The visitors then through everything forward in the last 15 minutes and where rewarded in the last minute from a free kick at the edge of the area. Sexton in the Leixlip goal lined up his wall but the Celtic forward hit a delightful free into the top corner to complete an excellent recovery for the men from Sallins.


Both teams will have to do it all again next week when they meet in the 1st.Round of the Premier Cup in Sallins.


Leixlip Town.  Brendan Sexton, Paul Kelly, Graham Carroll, Johnny Byrne, Brian Holmwood, Alan Murphy, Barry Olwell, Graham Keirsey, Eion Keirsey, Paul Harding, Eamon Heffernan.  Subs, Andrew Thompson for Byrne(inj) 63 min. Timmy Kavanagh for Graham Keirsey(inj) 70 min. Adrien Harrigan for Holmwood(inj) 85 min


Saturday Cup


Clonmullion 2 Leixlip Town 0


Leixlip made cup favourites Clonmullion fight all the way in this exciting game played in Athy on a bright Saturday afternoon. The visitors werent given much hope as their near the foot of the table while Clonmullion are well on their way to capturing the Saturday Division for the second year in succession.


Leixlip started well getting the ball up front quickly to Timmy Kavanagh who along with striking partner Damian Sexton where causing the home side no end of problems. Town forced the first couple of corners however nothing came of these as Clonmullion were well organised in defence. Damian Sexton had a free from the edge of the box tipped brilliantly over by the home keeper on 20 minutes. Clonmullion then took control and only for some very good goalkeeping from Alan Doyle might have gone in front. George Murray and Wes Soden in the heart of the Leixlip defence where dealing well with the fast Clonmullion forwards not giving them much room to run at them. Leixlip midfielder Darren Tennyson was holding the middle of the park for the visitors allowing Yan Butler free range to run at the home defenders. Leixlip finished the first half strongly, Sexton putting in a number of long throws into the home box but the final touch never came. Town went into the break full of confidence as they had more than matched Clonmullion in possession and effort if not in attacking chances.


This confidence continued into the second half where again Leixlip held the upper hand in the opening minutes, Kavanagh had a half chance on 54 minutes but his shot was pulled across the face of the goal, as time ticked on and Leixlip pushed more and more forward disaster struck when a quick clearance from Clonmullion was played through to their centre forward Hickey who was taken down in the box by Wes Soden, this decision was hotly contested by the visitors on two counts, Hickey was clearly offside when receiving the pass and Soden also clearly won the ball in the tackle. Such matters decide games and the resulting penalty was dispatched into the net. Leixlip made a few changes but never really threatened the home goal despite having as much of the ball as the men from Athy. Clonmullion always looked dangerous on the break and wrapped up the victory on 86 minutes with another quick clearance from a Leixlip attack.


If Leixlip could have put Clonmullion under more pressure in the box then the result might have been different but as it was all the position in the world is no good if you cant get shots in on goal.


Leixlip Town; Alan Doyle, Andrew Thompson, Adrian Uhlemann, Wes Soden, George Murray, Yan Butler, Darren Tennyson, Barry Hughes, Colin Meehan, Damian Sexton, Timmy Kavanagh. Subs Aaron O Keeffe for Hughes 55 min. Alan White for Uhlemann 70 min. Adrien Harrigan for Soden 70 min.


Kildare League Saturday Division

11th. January 2004

Leixlip Town 2 Athy Town 4


Both sets of players should be commended for serving up totally committed performances in very difficult conditions. Dark skys and a soft pitch after all the rain didnt bowed well for an entertaining match however the two young sides never gave up and were still full of running at the end of 90 minutes.

The home side started the stronger and nearly had the ball in the net on 17 minutes when Yan Butler headed just over after getting onto the end of a Mark Donaghey cross. Leixlip continued to press and on 25 minutes they again nearly broke the deadlock after Brendan Sexton made good ground down the right crossing in for Colin Meehan only to see the young winger failing to connect at the back post. As is always the way after spurning good chances the home side were made to pay when Athy won possession on the half way line, worked the ball up the right and quickly centring the ball for the centre forward to give Alan Doyle no chance in the Leixlip goal. Damian Sexton had a free kick 30 yards out on 43 minutes go just wide of the Athy post.

Leixlip played into a strong wind in the second half and found themselves 2 nil down on 49 minutes after been caught on the break. The home side didnt give up and slowly took the upper hand; Butler and Sexton both went close before Donaghey finally got them on the score sheet on 55 minutes. As Leixlip pressed for an equalizing goal they were again caught on the break and Doyle was beaten for the third time on 74 minutes. Leixlip then put on Darren Tennyson up front and the big forward managed to pick up the ball 40 yards out from the Athy goal, shrug off the attention of the Athy backs and fire home from just inside the box for the best goal of the game. 5 minutes later Leixlip nearly levelled it after Tennyson brought out a wonderful save from the Athy keeper, Butler was first to react to the loose ball but somehow managed to hit the post with the keeper scrambling back into position. Leixlip were to pay the price for this miss on 83 minutes when Wes Soden upended an Athy Town forward in the box to give away a penalty, which was duly dispatched.

This defeat leaves Leixlip Town still languishing near the foot of the table however the performances have been improving all season and if this young team can continue to improve then next year should yield some reward for them.


Leixlip Town.  Alan Doyle, Adrian Uhlemann, Alan White, Wes Soden, George Murray, Yan Butler, Aaron O Keeffe, Brendan Sexton, Colin Meehan, Mark Donaghey, Damian Sexton.  Subs, Darren Tennyson for Donaghey 60 minutes, Ger O Grady and Damian McKay for Meehan and Uhlemann 80 minutes.


Kildare League Lumsden Cup

3rd. Round  4th. January 2004

Liffey Celtic 5  Leixlip Town 4


Leixlip bow out of Kildares Premier knockout competition after a high scoring game at Tougher Road, Newbridge last Sunday afternoon. Without a number of regulars missing Leixlip took a while to settle and found themselves 2 nil down after 6 minutes. Johnny Mooney and Eamon Heffernan, the Leixlips centre forwards then started to open up the home defence but couldnt manage to put the ball away. Disaster broke for Leixlip on 18 minutes when Celtic again swept up field on a counter attack and made it 3 nil after John Doyle had initially saved Liffeys first attempt. Leixlip however kept plugging away and were rewarded on 26 minutes when Alan Murphy rose highest at the near post and headed home a Graham Keirsey corner. Town scored their second 5 minutes later from an identical position only this time it was Eion Keirsey who headed home his brother Grahams corner. Eamon Heffernan twice broke through the home sides defence before the break but shot just past the post on both occasions.

 Leixlip started the second half as they had finished the first and were level on 59 minutes when Johnny Mooney latched onto a Barry Olwell through ball rounded the keeper and slid the ball home into an empty net. Leixlip went ahead for the first time in the game on 66 minutes when Alan Murphy grabbed his second of the game from the penalty spot after Mooney had been brought down in the box. Mooney should have made the game safe on 75 minutes but the Liffey keeper pulled off a great save to deny him after he had done all the hard work shaking off two defenders and letting fly from close range, the keeper somehow managed to palm the ball away to safety. Leixlip where to pay for this as the home side threw everything forward and beat Doyle in the Leixlip goal to two late efforts to progress into the Quarter Finals of the Cup.


Leixlip Town: John Doyle, Danny Griffin, Graham Carroll, Paul Kelly, Brian Holmwood, Alan Murphy, Graham Keirsey, Barry Olwell, Eion Keirsey, Eamon Heffernan, Johnny Mooney. Subs: Timmy Kavanagh for G.Keirsey 50 min.(inj), Brendan Sexton for Griffin 65 min, Adrien Harrigan for Olwell 83 min.


Kildare League Saturday Division


Monasterevin 0 Leixlip Town 3


 Bottom of the table before this match Leixlip travelled down to the South of the County to take on highflying Monasterevin who started in second place behind Clonmullion from Athy.

 Leixlip had however beaten Monasterevin 3:1 earlier in the season in Leixlip and have of late been playing quite well so were confident of making a game of it and thats how it turned out. With a very sticky pitch both teams sized one another up in the opening minutes before Darren Tennyson just missed connecting with a Damien Sexton cross on 22 minutes. A few minutes later Leixlip lost their keeper John Doyle who picked up a knock on his knee when diving at the feet of an inrushing Mon. forward. Back-up keeper Alan Doyle came on to make his debut for the Town and performed well through out. Leixlip had a claim for a penalty turned down on 38 minutes after a home defender clearly handled the ball while blocking another Sexton cross however the ref waved play-on.

 Whatever was in the Leixlip oranges at half time had the desired effect as they took the lead on 57 minutes. Centre-forward Mark Donaghy was pulled back just outside the box, Sexton lined up the free-kick and curled it around the wall into the bottom of the net with the Monasterevin keeper scrambling across trying to clear. Leixlip where now in control and went further in front on 65 minutes when again Sexton curled the ball around the wall from a free-kick only this time from 30 yards into the top corner which the home keeper could only look at as it flew past. Monasterevin are not pushing for honours for nothing and threw everything at Leixlip, this left them with gaps at the back and Leixlip fully exploited this time and time again on the break. Yan Butler burst form defence on a number of occasions before finally getting the reward which his play deserved on 81 minutes when he latched onto a Colin Meehan ball and lifting it over the out-rushing keeper into the goal.

  Then properly came the talking point of the game, on 87 minutes Alan Doyle raced out of his goal and took down a Monasterevin forward at the corner of the box, Doyle was yellow carded and then duly took his place in goal for the resulting penalty kick. The Monasterevin forward picked himself up and hit the post with the resulting spot kick, the ball rebounded back to him and he shot past Doyle and into the net at the second occasion. As the home players celebrated the ref blew for a free-kick to Leixlip much to their surprise. The ref then had to explain that according to the rules the ball is a dead ball till another player touches it and therefore it was no goal, that one for a pub quiz.


Leixlip Town.  John Doyle, Paul Kelly, George Murray, Alan White, Adrien Uhlemann, Yan Butler, Aaron O Keefe, Colin Meehan, Darren Tennyson, Mark Donaghy, Damian Sexton. Subs. Alan Doyle for John Doyle 22 min. Inj. Wes Soden for Murray 29 min. Inj. Mark McKay for Donaghy 78 min.


30th. November

Kildare League Premier Division

 Leixlip Town 5  Connell Rovers 2


 The best thing about this game was some very good quality goals, the general play for most of the match was below par from both teams as for long periods players just seemed to be going through the motions. This probably suited Leixlip as they has raced into a four goal led before the break and were content to sit back and play out time, Rovers for their part hadnt got enough ideas to trouble the home team that much.

Leixlips centre-forward Johnny Mooney hit the cross bar after 30 seconds and this was the only real chance till the 25th minute when Eion Keirsey found himself in space 12 yards out, Keirsey took the ball under control and blasted past the Rovers keeper. 5 minutes later Keirsey got his second after good work down the left by Andy Thompson and Graham Keirsey produced a fierce cross that the inrushing Keirsey side footed home from 6 yards.  Alan Murphy scored the 3rd. on 36 minutes after Leixlip had forced a serious of corners; Murphy collected the ball 10 yards out and fired home through a sea of defenders. Centre-forward Eamon Heffernan made it 4 nil 3 minutes later when he blasted the ball into the roof of the net after good approach play from Graham Keirsey and Johnny Mooney.

 The second half was a forgettable affair. The home team never venturing forward till Rovers had pulled a goal back on 65 minutes. Alan Murphy raced up field and within 2 minutes had put Leixlip four goals ahead again. The visitors finished the scoring from the penalty spot after Graham Keirsey was adjudged to have upended a Rovers player.


Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Andrew Thompson, Graham Carroll, Johnny Byrne, Brian Holmwood, Alan Murphy, Eion Keirsey, Barry Olwell, Graham Keirsey, Johnny Mooney, Eamon Heffernan.

Subs. Brendan Sexton for Thompson 40 minutes, Timmy Kavanagh for Heffernan 60 minutes, Paul Kelly for Byrne 70 minutes.


Leinster Junior Cup 2nd.Round

Kilbarrack Utd. 1 Leixlip Town 1 AET

Kilbarrack win 6:5 sudden death penalties.


Leixlip travaled to North Dublin to take on AUL kingpins Kilbarrack in the LFA Cup on Sunday morning and took the home side to sudden death penalties before bowing out of the Cup. It could have been all so different for the Kildare side if a 35 yard screamer from Johnny Byrne had been an inch lower on 88 minutes and gone in rather than crashing off the crossbar.

In a game of few chances where defences dominated Town probably created more clearcut efforts on goal and fully deserved their equaliser on 80 minutes when Eion Kiersey fired home from 25 yards after a throw from Brian Holmwood was flicked on by Byrne for Kiersey to meet it on the half volley. Leixlip had gone behind to a 48th. Minute goal after Brendan Sexton was beaten by an unstoppable shot from close range when Kilbarrack came forward just after the break. This was one of the first attacks the home side produced as the first half saw little goal mouth action. Leixlips best chance of that half fell to Timmy Kavanagh on 26 minutes who shot from just outside the box however the Kilbarrack keeper got down well to push the ball around the post for a corner.

Extra time failed to separate the sides as did penalties however Leixlip missed their 2 sudden death kick to go out. Kilbarrack who are a AUL Premier B side were full of praise for Leixlip and admitted they were lucking to progress.


Leixlip Team. Brendan Sexton, Brian Holmwood, Paul Kelly, Alan Murphy, Andrew Thompson, Danny Griffin, Eion Keirsey, Graham Kiersey, Johnny Byrne, John Mooney, Timmy Kavanagh. Subs. Graham Carroll for Griffen 55 min., Eamon Heffernan for Thompson 80 min., Adrien Harrigan for Kavanagh 105 min.,


Kildare League Saturday Division

Kill Celtic 2 Leixlip Town 5


A hat-trick for Eamon Heffernan and two from Adrien Harrigan were enough for the visitors to bag all three points in this match. Leixlip have being playing some good football of late without getting any reward but Saturdays game put paid to that when they attacked all through the game despite going 1 nil down on 20 minutes. A 6 yard tap in on 30 minutes from Heffernan and a 42nd. Minute penalty from Harrigan after Yan Butler was taken down in the box gave Leixlip a half time lead.

Leixlip continued to push forward in the second half and made it 3:1 on 60 minutes when Heffernan shot low into the corner from 12 yards. Harrigan made it 4:1 two minutes later after being put through by Mark Donaghey. Heffernan completed his hat-trick on 74 minutes when he pounced on a rebound after Butlers initial effort was saved by the keeper. John Doyle gave away a late penalty which was conferted by Kill.


Leixlip Town.  John Doyle, Alan White, Wes Soden, Damian Clarke, Darren Tennyson, Aaron O Keeffe, Yan Butler, Mark Donaghey, Barry Joyce, Eamon Heffernan, Adrien Harrigan. Subs. Brian Murray for Donaghey 70 min.


12th.October Kildare League Saturday Division

Athy Town  3  Leixlip Town  2


This was an excellent game of football played by two very youthful teams with the odd exception in the Leixlip team. Played on the morning of the Ireland versus Switzerland game Leixlip travelled down to the south of the county missing four players who had gone to see the national team play in Basil, this gave joint managers Jim Keating and Adrian Harrigan the opportunity to experiment with some fringe players and they were not disappointed with the effort put in.


Leixlip started the brighter and had the first chance on 10 minutes when Yan Butler headed just over from a Barry Joyce corner. Mark Donaghey was next up on 15 minutes but the home keeper was well placed to gather in the Leixlip mans shot. It wasnt all one way traffic as Athy had some pacey forwards who were happiest running at the Leixlip defence. Leixlip played the offside trap once to many on 35 minutes and John Doyle in the away teams goal found himself one on one with an onrushing forward, despite getting a hand to the ball he could not keep it out and Leixlip found themselves 1 nil down at half time. Leixlip started the second half as they did the first and found themselves level on 55 minutes when Mark Donaghey was upended in the box. At 27 and the oldest player on the pitch Adrien Harrigan stepped up and fired low and hard into the net. Leixlip continued to press but went behind against the run of play when stand in centre half Darren Tennyson foaled the Athy forward in the box. Doyle could do nothing with the resulting penalty and Leixlip had to start all over again. On 70 minutes there efforts were rewarded when Donaghey finished of a flowing move that started with Wes Soden in defence and progressed through Butler in midfield to Donaghey to shoot across the face of goals into the far corner of the net. Athy responded well and scored the best goal of the game on 83 minutes from 30 yards on the run giving Doyle no chance in goal.


Leixlip Town:  John Doyle, Wes Soden, Alan White, Adrien Harrigan, Darren Tennyson, Yan Butler, Aaron O Keeffe, Barry Joyce, Ger OGrady, Brian Murray, Mark Donaghey. Subs Mark Uhlemann for Murray 30 min., Darren Sheridan for Uhlemann 60 min.


21st.September  Kildare League Premier Division

St.Patricks(Clonbullogue) 2  Leixlip Town 2


Leixlip remain unbeaten in the Premier Division but lost their 100% record after a hard fought away draw with St.Patricks on Sunday morning.

St.Patricks had the better of the first half and went 1 nil up on 12 minutes after the Leixlip defence was caught square at the back, it was to get worse for the visitors on 25 minutes when a long ball over the top wasnt dealt with and the Pats centre forward fired home giving John Doyle no chance in the Leixlip goal. The home side were lucky not to give away a penalty earlier in the game when Paul Harding was bundled over on the box but play on was the refs decision, Alan Murphy had Towns best chance of the half but shot wide under some pressure.

Leixlip came out with all guns blazing in the second half and had numourus chances, most noticeable by Johnny Byrne who headed over on a couple of occasions from corners. It took until the 73rd. minute before Alan Murphy pulled one back latching onto a Colin Murphy through ball and firing home a rebound after the Pats keeper had initially saved his effort. Leixlip know had their tails up and it was again Alan Murphy causing the home side problems when he was taken down after racing into the box, Murphy himself took the spot kick sending the keeper the wrong way on 83 minutes. Both sides might have won it at the end with Leixlip going closest on full time but Timmy Kavanagh was unable to square the ball to Murphy who was unmarked 10 yards from goal.


Leixlip Town.  John Doyle, Paul Kelly, Andrew Thompson, Paul Harding, Johnny Byrne, Alan Murphy, Colin Murphy, Graham Carroll, Graham Kiersey, Timmy Kavanagh, Brian Holmwood. Subs.  Brendan Sexton for Graham Kiersey 62 min., Eamon Heffernan for Graham Carroll on 70 min.


20th.September Kildare League Saturday Division

Clonmullion  6  Leixlip Town  1


The score line wasnt a true reflection on a game that saw the visitors compete well with the Saturday Division Champions for long periods. It was on 15 minutes and against the run of play that Clonmullion went ahead, almost immediately Leixlip were level after Eanna Kennedy scored from close range on his debut. A 10 minute spell before the break won it for the home side when they scored 3 goals without reply. This was hard justice on a game Leixlip side who time after time saw the Clonmullion keeper pull off great saves. Kennedy, John McAuley and Eion Keirsey were all denied by him. Leixlip tightened up at the back in the second half and nearly scored on 65 minutes when McAuley raced through on goal but shot wide. Defensive error gifted Clonmullion their 5th. And 6th. Goals but the game had long been won.


Leixlip Town.  Adrian Uhlemann, Jim Keating, Eamon Heffernan, Damian Clarke, Adrien Harrigan, Aaron O Keeffe, Eion Keirsey, Gareth Ringrose, Darren Tennyson, John McAuley, Eanna Kennedy.  Subs, Mark White for Ringrose 60 min., Mark Donaghey for McAuley 70 min., Brian Murray for Kennedy 80 minutes.


14th.September  Kildare League Premier Division

Leixlip Town  7   Timahoe Celtic  0


Leixlip keep their 100% record with an easy win over an understrenght Timahoe in Hewlett Packard on Sunday Morning. There was only 8 minutes on the clock when Timmy Kavanagh found the back of the net, receiving the ball wide on the right Kavanagh let fly from an acute angle and watched as the ball flew over the head of the stranded Celtic keeper into the far corner of the net. Both Kavanagh and his centre forward partner Brian Holmwood were giving the Celtic defence a torrid time and on 15 minutes Holmwood dispossessed the Timahoe centre half just outside the box, he rounded the other centre half and coolly dispatched the ball low past the keeper. Timmy Kavanagh got his second on 32 minutes when he side footed the ball home after Alan Murphy and Eion Keirsey had split the defence with a one two. Leixlip where now in total control and could have extended their lead just before the break when Andrew Thompson was taken down in the box for a penalty. Graham Keirsey stepped up but saw his shot brilliantly saved by the Timahoe keeper.

Leixlip continued after the break to control the game with Colin Murphy and Alan Murphy running the midfield, both players were moving the ball left and right as Town probed for openings. Eion Keirsey made it 4:0 on 54 minutes after Colin Murphy passed out to Graham Carroll out right, Carroll moved down the wing and crossed to Keirsey who stole in behind the defenders to fire home. Brian Holmwood got his second on 63 minutes when he headed home form 6 yards after Eion Keirseys shot had been saved by the visiting keeper. Leixlip where awarded their second penalty on 68 minutes when Eamon Heffernan was bundled over in the box, Alan Murphy stepped up and placed the ball into the corner of the net. The scoring was finished on 77 minutes when Colin Murphy who had been delivering super corners all through the game wiped one in and watched as it curled straight into the goal.


Leixlip Town.  John Doyle, Graham Carroll, Andrew Thompson, Paul Harding, Paul Kelly, Alan Murphy, Colin Murphy, Eion Keirsey, Graham Kiersey, Timmy Kavanagh, Brian Holmwood. Subs.  Eamon Heffernan for Kavanagh 65 min., John McAuley for G.Kiersey 70 min., Adrien Harrigan for Holmwood 75 min.


13th.September  Kildare League Saturday Division

Leixlip Town   3  Monesterevin  1


Leixlips second string got off the mark on Saturday with a hard earned win over a strong Monesterevin team. Town played into the wind in the first half and found themselves 1 nil down after 10 minutes when Monesterevin beat the offside trap and left Adrian Uhlemann no chance in goal. Leixlip dug deep and crated their own chances despite the conditions, Town were level on 37 minutes with the best goal of the game after playing the ball out from defence up the left wing by Darren Tennyson who passed to the ever dangerous Stephen Dooley who crossed for Adrien Harrigan to fire home from 6 yards.

One all at half time with a strong wind on their backs and things looked good for the home side however after initial pressure and near chances from Dooley and Aaron O Keeffe Monesterevin fought their way back into contention and only a couple of good saves from Uhlemann kept them at bay. Leixlip upped the tempo and went in front on 64 minutes when Dooley nipped in behind the last defender and lifted the ball over the advancing keeper. Leixlip wrapped up the points on 81 minutes when Harrigan got his second after getting onto the end of another Dooley cross.


Leixlip Town.  Adrian Uhlemann, John Ryan, Jim Keating, Johnny Byrne, Damain Clarke, Aaron O Keeffe, Gareth Ringrose, Brian Murray, Darren Tennyson, Stephen Dooley, Adrien Harrigan.  Subs, Ger Dunne for Murray 30 min., Mark Donaghey for OKeeffe H/T, David White for Ryan 60 min.


31ST.August Kildare League Premier Division

Leixlip Town  6   BBC Utd.  2

 Leixlip scored six goals in a game for the second week running when putting six past BBC Utd from Broadford last Sunday. A Hat-trick from Timmy Kavanagh, two from Alan Murphy and one from Eion Keirsey completing the scoring.

Leixlip were looking to this match for an indication of the progress they have made as BBC were a Senior Division club last year while Leixlip played in Division 3.

It took only 10 minutes to find out when Timmy Kavanagh headed home after a delightful cross from Graham Carroll. Kavanagh made it 2:0 10 minutes later after a fine through ball from Colin Murphy. It was 3:0 to the Town on 33 minutes when Alan Murphy fired home an unstoppable shot from 25 yards after Carroll again put in a quality cross.

Leixlip continued to pile on the pressure after the break and Kavanagh completed his hat-trick on 48 minutes pouncing on a rebound after Eion Keirsey had seen his initial effort saved. Alan Murphy made it 5:0 on 57 minutes chipping the keeper from all of 30 yards to score the games best goal. The home side then eased up a bit allowing BBC back into the game. BBC pulled a goal back on 80 minutes from the penalty spot after centre half Paul Harding up-ended a forward in the box. Eion Keirsey made it 6:1 from the resulting kick-off when he reacted quickest after a Colin Murphy corner ran loose in the BBC Utd. Box. BBC however didnt give up and got their second on 88 minutes after Leixlip failed to clear a corner.

This result puts Leixlip top of the table but it is very early days yet with a lot of football still to be played.

 Leixlip Town.  John Doyle, Danny Griffin, Andrew Thompson, Paul Harding, Paul Kelly, Alan Murphy, Colin Murphy, Eion Keirsey, Graham Carroll, Timmy Kavanagh, John McAuley.  Subs,  Brian Holmwood for McAuley 55 min., Brendan Sexton for Carroll 60 min., Adrien Harrigan for Kavanagh 75 min.


30th.August  Kildare League Saturday Division

Kilcullen AFC  3  Leixlip Town 2

 Defeat for Leixlips second string in their first game of the season however much credit must go to this side as six young players were making their debuts for the Town against a very good and experienced Kilcullen outfit.

It was Leixlip who started the stronger and could have gone one up on 10 minutes when Adrien Harrigan saw the keeper brilliantly push his looping header onto the crossbar and away to safety. Leixlip continued to press with Mark Donaghey going close on 23 minutes firing just wide after a good through ball from Aaron O Keeffe. Kilcullen took the lead shortly after on 28 minutes when Leixlip failed to clear a corner, the home side made it 2 nil on 42 minutes but the Town didnt give up and where back in the game on 55 minutes when Adrien Harrigan fired home a penalty after Stephen Dooley was up-ended in the box. Leixlips midfielder Eamon Heffernan was harshly adjudged to have foaled a Kilcullen forward in the box on 68 minutes. Mark Uhlemann in the Leixlip goal was given no chance from the spot. The young Leixlip side through everything forward and pulled one back on 83 minutes when Brian Murray connected with a Darren Tennyson cross, Town nearly crabbed a share of the spoils with the last kick of the game when John Ryan fired just over after getting onto the end of a Jim Keating cross.

 Leixlip Town.  Mark Uhlemann, Ian Fay, Wesley Soden, Adrien Harrigan, Damien Clarke, Aaron O Keeffe, Eamon Heffernan, Darren Tennyson, Robbie Fay, Stephen Dooley, Mark Donaghey.  Subs,  Brian Murray for Donaghey 30 minutes. Jim Keating for Robbie Fay 55 min., John Ryan for Ian Fay 80 min.

24th.August Premier Division
Connell Rovers 1 Leixlip Town 6
Leixlip's first ever game in the Premier Division ended in a 6:1 win, the jump from Div 3 to Premier proving not to big for the North County club. Leixlip didn't start to well however and found themselves 1:0 down after 5 minutes, a long through ball catching out the defence. Graham Carroll levelled matters on 15 minutes when he forced the ball home from close range. Timmy Kavanagh had a couple of half chances in the first half but the ball wouldn't sit right when he found himself in front of goal. 1:1 at half time Leixlip took control in the second half and went 2:1 up on 51 minutes when Alan Murphy placed a free at the edge of the box in the bottom corner of the net after John McAuley had being fouled. John McAuley made it 3:1 two minutes later when he fired home from 25 yards through a sea of defenders. The game was safe on 59 minutes when Alan Murphy got his second after Danny Griffin split the Rovers defence allowing Murphy to race onto the ball and steer it wide of the advancing keeper. Second half sub Brian Holmwood made an instint impresion on the game when he burst into the box forcing the defender into giving away a penelty. Graham Kiersey's spot kick however flew over the bar. Leixlip continued to press forward and Alan Murphy completed his hat-trick on 82 minutes after Griffin again supplied him with a super ball, Murphy turned two defenders and fired home from the 18 yard box. Holmwood finished the scoring on 84 minutes blasting the ball into the roof of the net from an accute angle.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Danny Griffin, Andrew Thompson, Paul Harding, Paul Kelly, Alan Murphy, Colin Murphy, Graham Keirsey, Graham Carroll, Timmy Kavanagh, John McAuley. Subs, Brian Holmwood for Timmy Kavanagh, Eion Kiersey for John McAuley, Damian Clarke for Graham Carroll. not used Brendan Sexton.
Republic of Ireland Supporters Club Cup 2nd.Round.
Leixlip Town 4 BBC Utd. 2
The match went ahead on a very heavy pitch.
Goals from Eamon Heffernan and Mikey Watt put Leixlip Town 2 nil up before 25 minutes, Barry Olwell then had a perfectly good goal disallowed as the Ref. said it didn't cross the line. BBC Utd hit back just before half time and despite Town hitting the woodwork another 3 times BBC managed to bring the game into extra time when Paul Kelly was disposesed outside the area leaving club captain Johnny Byrne to bring down the forward for a penalty.
Johnny Byrne made ammends when restoring Leixlip's lead 6 minutes into extra time and Timmy Kavanagh finished off the scoring on 106 minutes to make it 4:2 to Leixlip.
Andrew Thompson had another fine game for the home side as did Barry Olwell in the middle of the Park.
Leixlip Town: John Doyle, Paul Harding, Paul Kelly, Johnny Byrne, Andrew Thompson, Graham Carroll, Mikey Watt, Graham Kersey, Barry Olwell, Timmy Kavanagh, Eamon Heffernan.  subs:  Gary Keegan for Kelly, Colm Dunne for Thompson, Colin Murphy for Carroll.
24th. November.  Naas ACC Shield 1st.Round.
Leixlip Town 4 Kill Celtic 2
Premier Division high flyers Kill were brought back down to earth when 3rd. Division Leixlip knocked them out of the Shield on a stickey pitch in Hewlett Packard.
Leixlip took the lead on 15min. when Graham Keirsey slotted home after been put through by Barry Olwell. Kill leveled matters on 30min when a mix up between Paul Kelly and John Dolye allowed Kill's stricker in to score. Leixlip went 2:1 up just after the break whem Timmy Kavanagh raced onto a Paul Kelly clearance to fire home past the onrushing goalkeeper. Sloppey defending on 60min once again allowed Kill to draw level but Town upped the pace and centre-half Johnny Byrne headed home from a delightful Graham Keirsey cross. Timmy Kavanagh got his second and Leixlip's fourth on 82min when he scored from the spot after Andrew Thompson was upended in the box.
Leixlip Town: John Doyle, Paul Kelly, Johnny Byrne, Paul Harding, Gary Keegan, Andrew Thompson, Barry Olwell, Colin Murphy, Graham Carroll, Timmy Kavanagh, Eamon Heffernan. Subs: Graham Keirsey for Murphy 15min. Colm Dunne for Keegan 80min, Brendan Sexton for Kavanagh 80min.
Sunday December 8th.   Kildare League Division 3
BBC Utd. 1 Leixlip Town 2
Town were made to work very hard for the 3 points from a suprisenly strong BBC side in Broadford on Sunday morning.
The first chance of the game fell to Graham Carroll who got onto the end of a Gary Keegan cross only to fire over from three yards with the keeper well beaten. Leixlip continued to pile on the presure and on 25 min. Andrew Thompson wipped in a cross from the left hand touchline for Colm Dunne who rose highest to head the ball goalbound, BBC's keeper pull off a fine save when pushing the ball around the post for a corner. Town weren't having it all their own way and John Doyle had to come and collect three through balls at the end of the half. On 55 min. BBC drew first blood when they broke down the left wing cutting inside the box for Thompson to bring down the forward for the games first penelty. Doyle was sent the wrong way in the Leixlip goal. After this Leixlip threw everything at the home side and nearly drew level on 60 min when a Colin Murphy free from 25 yards was only parried by the keeper, Barry Olwell pounced but the keeper recovered to block the shot. John McAuley and Graham Kiersey came on for Carroll and Thompson on 65 min and made an imiatiate impact when both had a hand in Paul Harding's equaliser for Leixlip. Kiersey fed the ball to Olwell out left who wipped in a cross that was headed on by Timmy Kavanagh, Eamon Heffernan raced onto the loose ball and cracked the ball off the crossbar to fall to Harding who took the ball around the keeper and two defenders before firing home. Town got their winner on 74 min when Kavanagh was brought down in the box, he dusted himself off and slotted home the penelty into the top corner to give Leixlip a hard won 3 points.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Colm Dunne, Andrew Thompson, Gary Keegan, Paul Harding, Paul Kelly, Barry Olwell, Graham Carroll, Colin Murphy, Eamon Heffernan, Timmy Kavanagh. Subs. John McAuley for Thompson 65min, Graham Kiersey for Carroll 65min, Brendan Sexton for Kavanagh 80min.
Leinster Junior Shield  4th.Round  15/12/02
Leixlip Town 3 Dublin Bus 2
A well deserved win by Leixlip although Bus had the upper hand for long periods. Leixlip went 1 nil up on 15min when John McAuley tapped home from close range after Graham Carroll had hit the post. Eamon Heffernan also hit the post on 20min. from the edge of the box. On 35min. Dublin Bus leveled after Town failed to clear a corner. When the second half began Leixlip came out with all guns blazing and went 2:1 up on 55min. when Graham Carroll volleyed home from 25 yards. Timmy Kavanagh made it 3:1 on 64min when he dispossed a Bus defender and rounded the keeper to slot home. Bus didn't give up and reduced the arears on 72min when a long range free was missed by everybody and dropped into the goal. Leixlip had to endure some late pressure but ended up with a deserved wim.
Leixlip Town: John Doyle, Paul Kelly, Paul Harding, Gary Keegan, John McAuley, Andrew Thompson, Graham Carroll, Colin Murphy, Graham Kiersey, Eamon Heffernan, Timmy Kavanagh. Sub used Barry Olwell for Carroll 60min.
Kildare League Division 3
22nd. December 2002
Leixlip Town 0 Newbridge Celtic 0
This is the first time Town have being held scoreless in well over a year but with the amount of chances they had it shouldn't have been so. Eamon Heffernan had the first chance on 10min. when he shot just over. Timmy Kavanagh, Graham Keirsey and Graham Carroll all had good opertunities to score but found the Celtic keeper in fine form. Leixlip continued after the break to have the majority of the ball but it was Newbridge who came closest to breaking the deadlock when John Doyle was called apon to save two great chances on 60 and 74min. Doyle was again to Leixlip's rescue in the last minute when he smothered the ball at the strickers feet.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Paul Kelly, Paul Harding, Johnny Byrne, John McAuley, Andrew Thompson, Graham Carrol, Colin Murphy, Graham Keirsey, Timmy Kavanagh, Eamon Heffernan. Subs Barry Olwell for Kelly 50min. Brendan Sexton and Colm Dunne for Carroll and McAuley.
Naas ACC Shield 2nd.Round 12/01/03
Leixlip Town 3 Kingstown 0
Played on a very heavy pitch it was the visitors who set the early pace twice pulling great saves out of Leixlip's keeper John Doyle. On 20min as Leixlip were finally getting into the game John McAuley put the home side in front after Graham Keirsey sqaured the ball for a simple tap in. Town made it 2:0 on 30min. when Keirsey fired home a penalty after Brendan Sexton was felled in the box.
Sexton himself nearly made it 3 when he hit the post aftrer running from the halfway line.Centre forward Eamon Heffernan shot over on 82min after more good approach play from Keirsey but it was second half sub Timmy Kavanagh who wrapped it up after beating the offside trap he reached the ball just ahead of Kingstown keeper to run it into an empty net.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, John McAuley, Andrew Thompson, Paul Harding, Johnny Byrne, Gary Keegan, Graham Keirsey, Colin Murphy, Barry Olwell, Brendan Sexton, Eamon Heffernan. Subs used. Paul Kelly for Keegan(injured)6min. Graham Carroll for Murphy(injured) 65min. Timmy Kavanagh for Sexton 70min.
Kildare League Div. 3
9th March 2003
Leixlip Town 5 Liffey Celtic 1
Eamon Heffernan made it 1:0 on 7 minutes when he connected with a Liam Corscadden cross at the edge of the box. Graham Keirsey made it 2:0 on 25 minutes after Graham Carroll split the Celtic defence with a through pass and Keirsey just lifted the ball over the advancing keeper. The game was over as a contest on 44 minutes when Corscadden reacted quickly and returned a Celtic kick-out from 45 yards on the half volloy to the back of the net with the keeper struggling to to get back to cover the goal. Leixlip continued to dominate the 2nd. half even playing into a strong wind and could of had a hatful of goals but for some poor finishing. Graham Keirsey did get his second on 65 minutes when he got onto the end of a Timmy Kavanagh cross. Liffey pulled one back on 75 minutes as Town pushed forward looking for more goals and got caught on the break. Last word however went to Leixlip when Brendan Sexton crossed low and hard on 85 minutes forcing a Celtic defender to put the ball into hie own net under presure from Paul Harding.
Leixlip Town John Doyle, Eamon Heffernan, Andrew Thompson, Paul Harding, Gary Keegan, Graham Keirsey, Eion Keirsey, Graham Carroll, Barry Olwell, Liam Corscadden, Timmy Kavanagh, subs Brendan Sexton for Graham Keirsey 70 min. Colm Dunne for Kavanagh 75 min.
Leinster Junior Shield
Quarter Final, 16th.March 2003
Leixlip Town 4 Ballymun Utd. 0
Arguebly the biggest game in Leixlip's 12 year history or at least till the Semi final is played produced a fine performance from the home side in disposing the well marselled AUL Dublin side Ballymun Utd. Leixlip had to wait till first half injury time before Eamon Heffernan put them into the lead after he picked up a goal line clearence to fire home after Timmy Kavanagh saw his shot blocked on the line. Liam Corscadden could have put Leixlip one up as early as the 5th minute when he shot over from long range, on 25 minutes Graham Keirsey had a daisy cutter cleared off the line by John Fitzgerald. On 32 minutes Heffernan pulled the ball back for Corscadden to blast over from 12 yards. Leixlip where now piling on the presure and forced a series of corners resulting in Paul Harding, Heffernan and Graham Keirsey all going close, then on 43 minutes Graham Carroll was played through by Eion Keirsey but his shot was easily saved by Eugene Boswell in the United goal, then up stepped Heffernan to settle the home sides nerve before the break. Ballymun came out with all guns blazing and Micheal Fitzgerald shot wide on 48 minutes. Leixlip stepped back up a gear and had three 1 on 1's with Boswell but the United keeper was in inspired form. On the hour Town got their just reward when Carroll was at hand to stroke the ball home after Kavanagh saw his initial shot saved by Boswell. Ballymun again went close on 65 minutes when Fitzgerald brought out a fabulus save from John Doyle from a 20 yard free. Graham Keirsey then had 2 chances within 5 minutes to wrap it up when beating the Utd. offside trap however Boswell cleared both. United then forced 3 corners in 3 minutes but Doyle controlled his area and each attack was easily dealt with. The game was over on 79 minutes when Corscadden got on the score sheet when his 25 yeard free took a deflection off the wall to decieve Boswell to make it 3:0. Stephen Dooley made it 4:0 after Eion Keirsey weaved his way through the Utd. defence and cross for a easy finish.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Andrew Thomson, Eamon Heffernan, Paul Harding, Gary Keegan, Paul Kelly, Graham Keirsey, Eion Keirsey, Graham Carroll, Liam Corscadden, Timmy Kavanagh. Subs. Colin Dunne for Keegan 60 min. Colm Murphy for Carroll 75 min. Stephen Dooley for Kavanagh 80 min.
Kildare League Division 3
Leixlip Town 1 Bridgewood Celtic 1
A poor result for the home side who had most of the chances in this game but had to rely on an 78 minute strick from sub Stephen Dooley to salvage a point.
Leixlip started well and could have been out of sight as Timmy Kavanagh was quilty of some bad misses. Bridgewood went 1:0 up on 30 minutes when Paul Kelly upended the Celtic forward in the box. Doyle was given no chance in goal from the resulting penilty. In fact Celtic could have been 2:0 up on 65 minutes when they hit the post against the run of play. For the last quarter Town through every thing forward and should have added to Dooley's effort on a number of occasions. Liam Corscadden  had the best chance on 88 minutes when he shot straight at the keeper with the goal wide open.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Andrew Thompson, Eamon Heffernan, Paul Kelly, Gary Keegan, Paul Harding, Barry Olwell, Colm Murphy, Graham Carroll, Timmy Kavanagh, Liam Corscadden. Subs, Stephen Dooley for Murphy 35 min. Colin Dunne for Keegan 70 min. Graham Keirsey for Kavanagh 80 min.
Kildare League Division 3
Forrest United 1 Leixlip Town 0
Title hopes have nearly gone now for the Town after losing a game they totaly dominated with the last kick of the game. 3 times the woodwork came to the home teams resue as well as some pretty dreadful finishing.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Andrew Thompson, Eamon Heffernan, Gary Keegan, Paul Kelly, Paul Harding, Graham Carroll, Colm Murphy, Barry Olwell, Liam Corscadden, Timmy Kavanagh. Subs, Colin Dunne for Keegan 60 min.
Kildare League Division 3
Newbridge Celtic 0 Leixlip Town 4
A super result against one of the divisions stronger teams shows how Leixlip can lift their game when they put their minds to it. Timmy Kavanagh open the scoring on 20 minutes after Graham Carroll crossed from the right for Graham Keirsey to head back across the goal for Kavanagh to smash home from 10 yards. Keirsey himself nearly made it 2 on 33 minutes when a shot from 20 yards was pushed around the post by the keeper. Graham's brother Eion did make it 2 on 55 minutes after good approach play by Kavanagh. The game was over on 75 minutes when sub Damian Sexton shot into the far corner after being put through by Carroll. Super sub Stephen Dooley finished the scoring on 79 minutes when heading home at the back post from a Corscadden corner.
Leixlip Town John Doyle, Eamon Heffernan, Colin Dunne, Paul Harding , Paul Kelly, Colm Murphy, Graham Keirsey, Eion Keirsey, Liam Corscadden, Timmy Kavanagh. Subs Damian Sexton for Kavanagh 60 min. Stephen Dooley for Murphy 70 min.
Leinster Junior Shield
Semi-Final 6th.April
Leixlip Town 4 Clonmullion 1
Goals from Timmy Kavanagh (2), Graham Carroll and Liam Corscadden saw thw Town reach the Final of this Provincial Competition for the first time.
A full match report to follow.
Kildare League Division 3
Bridgewood Celtic 0 Leixlip Town 4
Another fine away win sees Leixlip move to within 11 points of leaders Coill Dubh with four games to go, 1 point seperates second place Nurney Utd. from Leixlip in the chase for automatic promotion.
Timmy Kavanagh kept up his scoring record in recent matches with another 2 goals in this game which also saw debutant Alex Gilmore score late on after coming on for Colm Murphy on 60 minutes. Paul Harding started the scoring on 18 minutes when he headed home a Graham Kiersey corner. Kavanagh then got in on the act on 28 minutes after Eion Kiersey beat three defenders and passed to Kavanagh who shot home from a tight angle. The game was over as a contest on 52 minutes when Kavanagh got his second after good approach play by Graham Kiersey left him with an easy tap in. Leixlip had the luxury of missing a 73rd. minute penalty when the Keeper pulled off a good save from Brendan Sexton. The stage was now set for Gilmore to open his account for the Town when he raced onto a Carroll pass to round the last defender and give the keeper no chance in goal.
Leixlip Town. John Doyle, Eamon Heffernan, Colin Dunne, Paul Harding, Paul Kelly, Graham Carroll, Colm Murphy, Eion Kiersey, Graham Kiersey, Timmy Kavanagh, Brendan Sexton. Subs Johnny Byrne for Dunne 20 min. Alex Gilmore for Murphy 60 min, Barry Olwell for Kavanagh 70 min. subs not used Andy Thompson, Liam Corscadden

This Weeks Games

Saturday Side   

Training to be announced



For more information call: 086-8954323